Now God has us where he wants us, with all the time in this world and the next to shower grace and kindness upon us in Christ Jesus. Saving is all his idea, and all his work. All we do is trust him enough to let him do it. It's God's gift from start to finish! We don't play the major role. If we did, we'd probably go around bragging that we'd done the whole thing! No, we neither make nor save ourselves. God does both the making and saving. He creates each of us by Christ Jesus to join him in the work he does, the good work he has gotten ready for us to do, work we had better be doing.
Ephesians 2:7-10 The Message

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

New Year's Goals

So it's 2010. Today is my birthday, number 38. I guess my birthday being so close to New Year's has me reflecting a bit on the past year and the year to come.

A few years ago I decided that it was no good to make New Year's Resolutions because they are easily broken or forgotten. Within a few months we go right back to where we were and feel like a total failure. So I started setting goals at New Year's. With goals you generally set acheivable steps to reach your goal. Ultimately you will set a time line to reach your goal but mine tend to be a bit more open ended, life goals I guess.

As I reflect on the goals I set for myself last year, I can see areas where I definitely need to continue to focus on, and other areas that went very well. In general my goal is to please God. (2 Cor. 5:9) If I focus on pleasing Him then I will attain all my other goals because that one encompasses all.

So when I think about the many different roles in my life, mom, wife, mentor and friend, I know that if in each area I strive to please God, then I will do well at each one.

So how do I do that? I need to make sure that God consumes my thoughts (Phil 4:8). I need to spend time in prayer and Bible study, and also spend time with fellow believers (Acts 2:42). When I put Jesus first in my life then the way I live my life will be a reflection of Him. In doing this I will acheive the goal of pleasing God.

Of course I still want to focus on eating healthier, exercising more, taking more pictures , spending time with my family, and blogging more often, but these are second to my relationship with God.

So have you set goals for the new year? Why not sit down right now and make a plan to please God in 2010.

No comments: