Now God has us where he wants us, with all the time in this world and the next to shower grace and kindness upon us in Christ Jesus. Saving is all his idea, and all his work. All we do is trust him enough to let him do it. It's God's gift from start to finish! We don't play the major role. If we did, we'd probably go around bragging that we'd done the whole thing! No, we neither make nor save ourselves. God does both the making and saving. He creates each of us by Christ Jesus to join him in the work he does, the good work he has gotten ready for us to do, work we had better be doing.
Ephesians 2:7-10 The Message

Sunday, October 28, 2007

Amazing Sunday

Wow. Today was an amazing day. Have you had one of those? I was a little bit weary when Butch came in at 10:00 last night and said I needed to change the closing song. Of course my first thought was "what about the rest of the songs?" He generally tells me what the main idea of his message will be and I let God take the lead and choose the songs He puts on my heart. So I'm thinking, "How will these songs fit with a message that God gave to Butch at 9:00 Saturday night, completely different from the message he had planned to preach, when I put together the music on Thursday?" (Sometimes I forget that God orchestrates everything and if He gave me the songs and Butch the message, then they will fit together.)

Well, because God is God, the songs He had put on my heart earlier in the week worked perfectly with the message God gave Butch to preach. On top of that, at 10:00 last night I felt like we should do "Made to Worship" by Chris Tomlin. Brand new for us, I've never even begun to introduce it to the worship team. But if God puts it on your heart to do it then you kind of have to listen. So I pulled it out of the "New Songs Someday" file and at practice this morning sprang it on our piano player and other vocalist. We ran through it twice and said, "well, let's give it a shot!" So we sang it for offering, and closed by just singing the chorus. We might just have to add it to our rotation.

Sometimes you wonder if the congregation is moved to a spirit of worship through the music you lead them in. But today you could just feel it. And when people who don't usually say a word about worship mention that it was good, you know God moved in people's hearts. Sometimes I get discouraged and wonder why God put me, a self-taught guitar player who doesn't sing in the position of leading worship. It still scraes me to death. Our church is great. They continue to encourage both me and Butch in the call that God has given us.

Thank you Lord for Sundays that confirm the call. You are an awesome God. Thank you for giving us what we need to effectively serve you in this place.

Just wanted to share what God did on this amazing Sunday!

No comments: