Now God has us where he wants us, with all the time in this world and the next to shower grace and kindness upon us in Christ Jesus. Saving is all his idea, and all his work. All we do is trust him enough to let him do it. It's God's gift from start to finish! We don't play the major role. If we did, we'd probably go around bragging that we'd done the whole thing! No, we neither make nor save ourselves. God does both the making and saving. He creates each of us by Christ Jesus to join him in the work he does, the good work he has gotten ready for us to do, work we had better be doing.
Ephesians 2:7-10 The Message

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving

For the first time in I think, forever, we will be by ourselves for Thanksgiving. It seems kind of wierd but I am going to do my best to make it a special day. It would be easy to treat it just like any other day, but I want it to be a memorable day for the kids.

So we cleaned house today, just as if we were having family over, and I went to the library and checked out a couple of movies. We also got Wall-E from Netflix so we will watch that tomorrow night. And of course The Sound of Music. Probably be just me and Becca for that one:)

The table is set and the turkey and ham are ready to go in the oven tomorrow. The kids got to help plan the menu and the only thing we don't have figured out is dessert! We have a whole pumpkin pie left from the church dinner on Sunday but none of us are real crazy about pumpkin pie. I figure I have flour, sugar and cocoa, and today I bought a jar of caramel just in case I need it, so I will come up with something.

If you get a moment check out Jeanette Lynton's blog here. She is the founder of Close to My Heart and has been posting her "27 Things I am Thankful For", one for each day of November until Thanksgiving. It has inspired me to really sit down and think of 27 things I am thankful for. So much so that when I spoke at our Ladies Luncheon this month I shared a few of those things. Some are obvious, like faith and family. But I have also been reminded to thank God for the trying times this past year. Those times make us stronger and God has been teaching both Butch and I many things during the past year. Even though we have had a tough year, our faith in God is strong and we are keeping our eyes fixed on Him.

I challenge you to think of 27 things you are thankful for and share them with someone else. You may be an encouragement to someone and not even realize it.

Happy Thanksgiving

No comments: